The house and its inhabitants
The museum is located in an old stone and wood house, dating back to the late 1700s.
The only owners of whom we have certain information are the spouses Enrico Silvestri (1874-1947), a cow merchant, and Domenica Bormolini (1880-1959), who married in 1908 and from whose marriage no children were born.
At one time, the housing complex consisted of the actual house, the shed, the stable and the barn. Outside were the long turnip garden, bordered by a hedge, and a private well.
In 1987, the main building was purchased by the Municipality of Livigno to house an ethnographic museum. Thanks to the presence of typical elements of the traditional houses of Livigno - the córt (courtyard), the cellars, the sc'tua (rooms lined with wood), the kitchen with the cendré (indoor fire pit) and the milk processing room - and due to its considerable size, the structure lent itself well to the purpose.
The museum collection of Livigno and Trepalle, called MUS!, was officially established on September 30, 2015 and inaugurated on December 22 of the same year.
A part of the ethnographic collection on display, consisting of furniture, family paintings, everyday objects and paper documents, comes from a fund donated by Francesco Galli and Maria Orsola Longa in 1998; the remaining part is continuously increasing thanks to the objects that are lent or donated by the population of Livigno and Trepalle.